You may have visited Crete once, you may not. The only sure thing is that at the end you never come to Crete only once. We are here to bring you the Top 49 Experiences you should do on your first (or second, or third!!!) visit to Greece’s biggest island, Crete!
Tick off the activities/experiences you have already done.
- Visit CretAquarium – one of the largest and most modern aquariums in Europe
- Walk to Elafonissi Beach – a tropical paradise
- Hike down to Seitan Limania beach with clear emerald water
- Be a Victoria Hislop’s character in “The Island”. Where? In Spinalonga of course
- Spend a night (and a day) without cars and any means of transportation in Loutro
- Learn about the bravery of Cretan People in the Sacred Monastery of Arkadi
- Swim in the green waters of Voulismeni Beach near Agios Nikolaos
- Visit Knossos Palace. The ruins of the Minoan Civilization
- Walk the Samaria Gorge. Altitude of 1250m & 18kms long
Book early, avoid disappointment! This is the way to get the best deal. Use our promo discount coupons or save big with our last minute flash sales.
- Appreciate Crete’s history in Heraklion’s Archaeological Museum
- Pray with a unique view in Moni Preveli (Monastery)
- Take your kids (or yourself) to a day of fun in a WaterPark (Acqua Plus, Watercity or Limnoupolis)
- Become hippy of a day in Matala
- Rent a pedal boat in Kournas Lake
- Check Fodele. The birthplace of Domenikos Theotokopoulos (aka El Greco)
- Reach the top of Lassithi Mountain to see the Zeus Born Cave -Dikteon Cave- and enjoy the view in Psichro
- Visit Kritsa Monastery and buy ceramics on your way out.
- Have a relaxing coffee or tea in Agios Nikolaos Lake
- Party like there is no tomorrow in Malia or Chersonissos
- Be romantic. Get an evening Horse Carriage in Chania Old Town Harbour
- Taste the chocolate pie in Koukouvagia Cafe in Chania – BTW great view
- Get the best Cretan food in Anogeia or Geni Gkave
- Foam party in Star Beach Waterpark in Chersonissos – 3 times a week
- Visit the museum of Nikos Kazantzakis in Myrtia
- Kitesurf in Falasarna
- Sunbath in Vai Beach – Finikodasos
- Take the ferry from Ierapetra to Chrissi Island. Spend as much time as you can!
- Watch the 10.000 Windmills in Lassithi Plateau
- Be a guest in a trandition Cretan Wedding
- Join a summer festival anywhere in Crete – Matala Festival, Dafnes wine festival, Yakinthia, Houdetsi or Festivalaki-
- Visit Santorini for a daily boat trip
- Eat Crete’s biggest Crêpe in Rethymno – Crêperie Harris
- Forget Mousaka, eat Gyros or Souvlaki in Lion Square in Heraklion
We always include “fully comprehensive” insurance with €0 excess in our rental quotes. Think again before trusting anyone else. Worry-Free deals at Rental Center Crete
- You know Frozen Yogurt? It comes from Greece! Slurp it then!
- Admire the nature and waterfalls in Argiroupoli, near Rethymno
- Buy Cretan Herbs in Kouses Village in Messara
- Visit the pirate island of Gramvousa
- Cruise to Balos Beach from Kissamos
- Shop at Chania’s Indoor Market
- Trekking in Agiofarago (Gorge of Saints)
- Admire the 2000 Years old Tree in Vlatos Kissamos
- Learn the history of humankind in Homo Sapiens Museum
- Dine like a local Cretan in Archanes
- Choose your favorite Cretan Wine in a local winery
- Forget Syrtaki! Learn how to dance “Siganos”, “Chaniotis” and “Pentozalis”
- Never forget the fallen soldiers! Souda Bay War Cemetery
- Visit the Turking Mosque in Ierapetra
- or the Etz Hayyim Synagogue in Chania old town
- Return to Crete on more time because you loved it so much the previous time
You’ve ticked a few things off the list, but there’s still loads more you have to visit. Why not start off with something simple and easy? How about a dinner in Archanes! The most tranditional village in Crete. Or eat Gyros in Heraklion’s Lion Square? There, most restaurants are Tripadvisor recommended.
You’ve got a few stamps in your “Cretan passport” and are heading straight to become a Cretan citizen. Why not visit next a little more off the beaten track place? Dance “Pentozali” in the summer festival in Houdetsi or Wine fetsival in Dafnes.
You’ve been well and truly bitten by the Cretan travel bug. You’ve done it most of our list – and propably bought the “Raki: Connecting People” t-shirt. Right? We’re probably preaching to the choir here, but why not try off-touristic destinations, like Agiofarago trekking? What? Not a trekking fan? Samaria Gorge then… The lazy road of course!
Wow! You’re a Cretan citizen already. You know Crete like the back of your hand. However, look twice and there might be a spot or wrinkle that you’ve overlooked. How about exploring Crete for a second/third/fourth time? Change your budget: Be poor for a day in Crete. Or, for a change, be rich for a day. You know that Crete combines all sizes of wallets/budgets and all types of vacation! Mountain and beach, partying or family gateways!